And not only with botanical prints. We also focused on the use of different dyes like Madder, Indigo, Weld and Cochineal to add more depth to the already interesting looking prints that we get from the leaves. The class went really fast and the amount of information was sometimes a bit overwhelming, but it was all reinforced by putting into practice the information given in the classroom. Besides being a wonderful teacher, Irit is very generous with the information she shares with her students. I came back home tired, but eager to start playing with all the new techniques that I learned at Pacific Grove. Here are few of the pictures I took of some of the student projects made in this class.
I have to admit it… I always get a little giddy before opening my bundles.
As I never know what to expect. That sensation of a little bit of a rush before the unfolding.
My next class with Irit Dulman is “just around the corner” as she said. I can’t wait for January to arrive!
I did some dyeing this weekend. But first I had to go around my neighborhood to do some “shopping” for the right material.
I did found good leaves, but I also saw a men coming out from a driveway with the back of his truck filled with olive branches. I got so excited about trying something a little different from eucalyptus and after he told me to help myself as much as I could.
Then I found these leaves that looks like a type of acacia. Their leaves are very similar to the olive leaves.
After I got home I started working on my bundles right away. I made four bundles and put the whole thing to “cook”.
The hardest part was to wait, so I took my camera and I went for a walk.
A few hours later, I decided that it was time to take them out the pot.
Here are my bundles before unfolding them.
Here are the results:
The Eucalyptus yielded the most bright colors, the acacia-like leaves, left a nice subtle print and the olives didn’t print at all.